Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine for Cold + Flu Season
It's that time of year again. You hear that tell-tale sniffle from your co-worker and you know you're next. Getting sick doesn't have to be a seasonal inevitability. There are simple steps you can take to fortify your immune system, making the sniffles + sore throats less likely, and much less severe. Several clinical studies have suggested that using acupuncture as a preventive approach to colds and flu can reduce the incidence of upper respiratory tract infection and shorten the duration of the illness.
Acupuncture and Chinese medicine work by rebalancing the body’s systems, regulating the body’s healing energies and enhancing the immune system. Acupuncture and Chinese medicine are safe, natural and effective ways to support the body’s innate healing systems.
What Exactly Is Wei Qi?
Wei Qi is akin to the Western concept of the immune system. Wei Qi functions as a barrier protecting and defending the body against foreign substances + external pathogens, which can cause illness and disease. When your Wei Qi is functioning optimally, you remain healthy. When the supply of Wei Qi becomes depleted, your health can deteriorate and you become more susceptible to illness.
Try a Qi Gong class or a restorative yoga session to help keep excess stress in check. Gentle movement will also keep your Qi balanced + strong; and that includes your first line of defense - Wei Qi. Regular acupuncture and moxibustion can help you stay sniffle-free. Moxibustion is a special technique that uses gentle heat applied to specific acupuncture points to strengthen the immune system. Supplementing your routine with daily Ginger or "Ban Lan Gen" (isatis root) tea is an easy and deliciously grounding way to support a sick-day-free season. Skip the sugar. If you are already exposed to a cold or flu, there are many herbal formulas available to defend the Wei Qi and reduce pathogenic Qi. Here at Herb + Ōhm we customize these formulas for your specific needs.
Have questions about how we can help you support your immune system?
Tips for Staying Healthy During Cold + Flu Season:
- Drink 8-10 glasses of filtered water daily-consider adding organic lemon slices to your water
- Wash your hands more frequently + avoid touching your mouth, nose & eyes
- Exercise regularly to support the immune system
- Make time to de-stress with mediation, gentle yoga or Qi Gong
- Eat a healthy, organic diet, including foods with beta carotene (carrots, broccoli, sweet potatoes, garlic and tomatoes)
- Limit sugar intake. Sugar taxes the immune system, especially when you're already feeling under the weather
- Take Vitamin C and herbs to support the immune system, especially in the “cold and flu” season
- Make sure you are getting good, quality uninterrupted sleep. Make sure the room is dark, cool & free from gadgets + electronics.
- Make time for leisure activities with friends + loved ones (community is important)
- Stimulate specific acupuncture points that support Wei Qi
- Keep up with regular acupuncture treatments to help support your body’s inherent self-balancing + healing mechanisms.